Sunday 21 August 2011

Day 3 - 19 August 2011 - Planning continues..(there will be lots of these I think)

Having a bit of a rest from reading about St. Morwenna etc... when I got an email from my good friend Ines, who lives in London. She's been on the train this morning and whilst reading The Metro (Free London Paper) she came across an article about Cornwall, The Rev Hawker (who I haven't actually mentioned yet) and St. Morwenna's church at Morwenstow. I took this as a sign to continue with my plans for a mini adventure. 


After a quick search, I found the article online:


http://www.metro.co.uk/lifestyle/872791-exploring-the-landscapes-and-hidden-gems-of-cornwall


It didn't really say that much about St. Morwenna, but did talk about the rather eccentric Reverand Robert Stephen Hawker, who was the vicar there for 40 years (from 1834-1874). He was from Oxford and had won the Newdigate Prize for poetry.  He penned 'Trawlney' the unofficial Cornish National anthem.  He could often be found at his hut, smoking his opium pipe and writing prose. (I sat in his hunt when I visited Morwenstow - minus the pipe though. Amazingly inspiring views.






Popped into the library in the afternoon and picked up a couple of useful books to help with my planning (along with a few I liked the look of):
  • Collins Camping and hiking manual - The essential guide to comfortable (this was the key word for me) walking, cooking and sleeping
  • South West Coast Path - Minehead to Padstow
  • The South West Coast Path 2010 Guide (the full 630 mile guide)
  • Eat my Globe - One year to go everywhere and eat everything by Simon Majumdar (not relevant but looked interesting).
  • The Geography of Bliss - The grumpiest man on the planet goes in search of the happiest place in the world by Eric Weiner (same as above!) Lets see if I actually read these and not end up accruing more library fines...!


No comments:

Post a Comment